,

South Korea to hold snap elections

On May 9, 2017, South Korea will hold its snap election which hopes to fill in the presidency from former President Park Geun-hye.

south korea elections

It can be remembered that back in December, votes and decisions from South Korean legislators and the Constitutional Court encouraged the impeachment of Park.

Former President Park was removed from office on March 10 as an effect of her impeachment trial. According to the South Korean Constitution, a snap election must be held within the next 60 days. This provided the presidential hopefuls only a short span of at most 2 months to do their campaigning.

As of press time, there are five aspiring presidential candidates hoping to be the one fortunate enough to serve their country. They are Moon Jae-in from the Democratic Party, Ahn Cheol-soom from People’s Party, South Gyeongsang Province Governor Hong Joon-pyo from the Liberty Korea Party Yoo Seong-min from the Bareun Party and Sim Sang-jung of the Justice Party.

The candidates hope to plead their case and appeal to the South Korean masses which will enable one of them to bring a new light to the era darkened by the extortion scandal of former President Park.

Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn has assumed presidency until the declaration of votes after the snap election.

According to a Korean news agency, Yonhap News Agency, the possible top pick at the moment is the Democratic Party’s Moon Jae-in. Yonhap claimed that Moon Jae-in might achieve 30% of the total votes, leaving 70% to the rest of the candidates.

Ahn Cheol-soom from People’s Party is expected to be the closest rival with a predicted 20% of the total votes.

Former President Park Geun-hye of South Korea.

Rem Angelo P. Calilung is a freelance writer from Manila. He is now an up-and-coming journalist for GEOPOLMonitor focusing on Asian and European affairs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

trump and putin

Trump consoles Putin over St. Petersburg attack

south china sea

China, neighboring states closer to South China Sea deal